ibu Family Resource Group
ibu Family Resource Group is a not for profit association based in Kuala Lumpur providing resources for young families, new parents and raising funds to support local charities working with disadvantaged parents and children in Malaysia. It is managed by a team of volunteers who assist in offering early childhood information and services to both members and non-members. These services include playgroups 5 days per week, various support groups, which include new well baby clinics, bumps and babes, adoption, special needs and multiples, educational talks, first aid workshops & fun activities for the children. Most of the activities are held at ibu’s House in Taman Sri Hartamas. ibu is a unique resource available to both Malaysians and other nationalities, which presently extends to members from over 40 countries who are currently living in Kuala Lumpur.
ibu Playgroups are open to children aged 0-5 years and are held 5 times per week at the ibu House and offers your child an opportunity to play and interact with other children. ibu provides a dedicated space for parents and children to enjoy a wide variety of activities including Art & Crafts, dress up, role play and free play with an extensive collection of toys and outdoor play equipment.
If you would like to join a playgroup or would like more information, please do email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bumps and Babes Support Group
• Well Baby Clinic and Midwife Advisory Services
• Multiples Support Group
• Adoption Support Group
• Special Needs Support Group
• Mental Health and Emotional Well Being Clinic
Fire Station Visits Children of all ages enjoy a morning at the fire station (usually at Desa Sri Hartamas), where they are taught what to do in case of a fire, try on a firefighting gear, ride in an engine and maybe even slide down the pole. Don’t forget your swimming gear as you will get wet when they bring out the hoses!
Coffee Mornings Held monthly for both new and existing members to get together for an informal chat. Held on the last Thursday of the month at 9:30-11:30 at ibu House or external venues..
Parents Time Out Catch up with other parents over drinks and nibbles. Exchange your best parenting wins or expand your network. Held on the last Thursday of the month at a local watering hole for all ibu parents and supporters.
Talks & Classes Looking to brush up on your infant CPR or want to communicate quickly with your child? Take up a first aid workshop, or baby sign language, or even baby massage, potty training or a gentle sleep course at ibu House. We have also lined up experts to speak about pregnancy fitness, essential oils for children, early childhood education. Children can also have fun at art classes or cupcake decorating sessions.
Jumble Sales, Market and Tots Fair ibu’s Jumble Sales are eagerly awaited by both buyers and sellers. Budget-conscious parents look forward to the sales in order to acquire treats and necessities at low, low costs. The vendors relish the opportunity to clear items which their children have outgrown or they will no longer need due to relocation. The annual ibu Christmas Market hosts sellers of new clothes, toys, books, jewellery, baby equipment, household items and food, geared towards families and just in time for the year-end festivities. The Jumble Sales and Markets raise funds for ibu’s selected charities. The new ibu Tots Fair brings together preschools, enrichment centres, experts and other service providers aimed at young children under one roof, saving parents unnecessary legwork.
Seasonal Parties A fun way to celebrate Chinese New Year, Easter, Halloween, Deepavali and Christmas – the ibu festive parties combine culture with arts & crafts, themed play and yummy treats. Look out for special visits from the lucky lion, Santa Claus and some spooky ghosts!
In line with its mission to support families in Malaysia, Ibu raises funds and organises events to support local charities and social enterprises working with underprivileged families, women and children. Some charities are looking for volunteers or in-kind donations of pre-loved items. Contact us at email@example.com to learn more about Ibu’s support to charities and social enterprises and how you can help.
Organizations that Ibu partners with include the following.
- Lighthouse Children Welfare Home Association offers a safe home for more than 70 vulnerable children. Lighthouse rents five houses in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur, to accommodate for the children, with rental costs alone amounting to thousands of ringgit per month. Lighthouse was established in 2005 by Mr and Mrs Steven who run the home till today, providing an uniquely safe and supportive growing environment for all the children under their care.
- Epratha Children’s Home is a home for 30 underprivileged children in Rawang, Selangor. The children come from extremely poor families and many are orphans. The home has monthly operating expenses of 12,500 rm including rental, food, staff cost and school fees. The home was established in 2005 and its run by its founder and president Ms Christina Soosai
- Need To Feed The Need is a community-run initiative to feed the less fortunate in Chow Kit area in Kuala Lumpur. They organize weekly meal distributions every Thursday night, serving approximately 350 meals every time.
- Yayasan Chow Kit runs two 24-hour crisis and drop-in centres for children and youth, providing meals, activities, therapy, case management and educational programmes. The organization was established in 2011 by devoted community members, building on their years of experience of working with vulnerable children in Chow Kit area.
- Tanma Federation supports Burmese refugee women by empowering them through livelihood projects based on artisanal skills training and fair trade. Tanma and its umbrella organization Mang Tha run women’s centres in Pudu offering leadership training, skill programmes, language courses and childcare services.
- eHomemakers is a social enterprise promotes work-life balance, working from home and teleworking opportunities, especially for underprivileged families. They conduct pro-poor projects and provide services to empower marginalized women.
ibu also have a selection of winter woolies, books on pregnancy, birth, children, parenting and much more. If you would like more information, please do email firstname.lastname@example.org